If you didn’t know this about me, I’m a Rodan and Fields Girl!! That’s right, I LOVE their products!! I love them so much, I became a consultant, mostly so I could get a discount on the products, but when I felt how amazing they made my skin feel, I wanted to share it with everyone I knew! And I have to say, as a photographer, one of the main things I get asked all the time is, “Can you get rid of this (blemish, mark, wrinkle, line, freckle, dark spot, dark circles under my eyes, etc.)?” While photoshop is amazing and wonderful at times, I really love all your naturally beautiful faces!
So here are the 6 most common mistakes that people make when washing their face:
1. Thinking you are too young or too old to start taking care of your skin! You are never too young or too old! The damage to our skin happens over a long span of time, so the earlier you start taking care of your skin, the better off you will be. And once you start no matter how old you are, you are reversing the damage that has been done…so at least start somewhere!
2. Not washing your hands first! If your hands are dirty when you wash your face, you end up rolling MORE oil and bacteria into your skin.
3. Exfoliating too much! Don’t over do it! Once or twice a week is good. Everyday will strip your skin of its natural moisture.
4. Scrubbing too hard! You should be using a gentle circular motion when exfoliating. If you are too aggressive, it can actually cause excessive wrinkling.
5. Avoid using too hot or too cold water for rinsing your face. Hot water washes away essential oils of the skin, leaving it dry. Cold water irritates the skin and breaks the capillaries. Use lukewarm water or room temperature water to help keep your skin hydrated and unaffected.
6. Not using a toner! Toners help to restore the pH balance in your skin after you cleanse, and hydrates your skin which is essential to maintaining elasticity! It removes the oily residue and the dead skin cells on the surface of your skin thus reducing breakouts. It also tightens and shrinks pores!
Rodan and Fields has some amazing products for every skin type, and if you have any questions you can always contact me anytime. I would love to help!
***Just remember, never start a new skin regimen right before you have a planned a photo session. It takes time for your skin to get used to new products and there could be a purging phase that your skin will go through. You also want to make sure that you don’t have any sensitivities to any products when you start a new regimen.
Take care of your skin – it’s going to represent you for a lifetime!
your friendly neighborhood alamosa portrait photographer