Don’t Forget The Small Things
by Candace Miller Photography Montrose, CO
When it comes to photos, sometimes it feels like there are so many things to think about it can be overwhelming, especially if you have a family that you are trying to get ready for the session. Today I’ve made a list of things to think about to help you remember some important things to double check before you session.
It never fails, when we get to the session, mom is always saying, “Oh my gosh, you are wearing that!?” Or, “I totally forgot to change him out of that shirt!!” So hopefully this list will help you think about the small things before you head out the door. Use it as a checklist to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.
Shoes. Even though a lot of times shoes are not in the photos, we photographers do sometimes take walking shots or have you sit with your legs bent or curled up under you. So, shoes do need to be doubled checked. Make sure they go with your clothing choice. Make sure they are clean as well.
- T-shirts. I love a guy in a t-shirt in jeans so I’m not saying don’t wear them. Just make sure they aren’t graphic tees. It can make your photo look tacky and dated really fast.
- Hair. Yes, I’m well aware that everyone checks their hair before a photoshoot…most likely several times. But just let me say this. If you have long hair, don’t pull it back in a pony. Or if it does need to be pull up, leave half of it down. Pulling all your hair up in a pony can make it look like you don’t have hair is straight on shots…especially if it’s a super tight slick pony. I understand they look super chic but for the sake of a photoshoot, let’s show off your gorgeous hair.
- Bras. Make sure you bra is not showing through your shirt and that your straps are not a problem. It will make the whole session very difficult for you, as you will constantly be worried about your bra.
- Wear clothes that you will be able to move around in for the type of session that you are planning. If you are wanting to run, and jump, and play it’s probably not a good idea to wear a tight, short skirt or a top that comes up to high every time we move.
Location and season. Keep in mind the location that you are going to. If you are going out to a field, it’s probably not a good idea to wear high heels. If you are having summer photos, probably shouldn’t be wearing a sweater and winter boots.
- Makeup. Bring your lipstick and mirror with you to do touch ups as the session goes on. You may also want to check that your makeup is still in place. It’s not a bad idea to bring your favorite products for touch up as well as your hair products.
I try to remember to bring a mirror and a few extra things in case they are needed, to every session, because sometimes the wind just won’t cooperate or because…life. But every once in a while, my kids get in my car and move my stuff around (ah, never), so it’s usually best to make sure you have your favorite lipstick on hand just in case. And photoshop can do a lot but it can’t do everything, so let’s be prepared.
your friendly neighborhood montrose senior photographer,
If you have any questions or you are ready to book your session with Candace Miller Photography, send me a message and let’s chat! I can’t wait to work with you!