6 Ways To Prep For Your Session
by Candace Miller Photography, Montrose CO
Yep, I get it. Photoshoots can be stressful. It doesn’t matter what type of session you are getting ready for, there are lots of things on your “to-do” list. But, I can make sure that you have everything you need on the day of your session with a simple check list. You can screenshot this and keep it on your phone the week before your session and check them off as you get everything ready to go.
- Pinterest! Start a pinterest board for inspiration! You can look at wardrobes, hairstyles, makeup, color themes. Pin them all so you are ready when it’s time for your session.
- Put each full outfit on ONE hanger. Whether you have a session that includes multiple outfit changes or you have several people in your party, this will allow you to see the full outfit put together, and you will be able to see if anything is missing. If you are doing this for a family session, you can see what everyone will look like together. It will make your life so much easier and then keep the outfits together so they don’t accidentally get worn before the session.
- Accessories! Make sure you have the correct jewelry with each outfit. A simple way to do this is to put each set in a ziplock back, put a small hole in it, and then put it on the hanger with the coordinating outfit. This is the most common forgotten thing at sessions! So make sure you choose your accessories ahead of time and lay them out.
- Shoes! Be sure your shoes are coordinated as well. Sometimes we forget to look down when we are completing an outfit (especially for kids). Make sure to lay out the shoes to coordinate with the outfits. And if you need to change shoes for each outfit, make sure you have all the shoes for every outfit.
- Belts! Don’t forget the belts…this one is common for the fellas! If you are planning to wear a shirt tucked, then a belt is a must. (technically this would fall under accessories but it’s forgotten so much, it deserves its own tab).
- Emergency Kit! There is always a chance of wind or rain or a mishap with your outfit. Be sure to pack some makeup and lipstick for touchups, some hairspray, a brush, a mirror, wipes, and… maybe a clip or a few pins in case of the unthinkable and a strap breaks!
Hopefully these tips will make preparing for your session so much easier! And if there is something that I left off the list, let me know in the comments!
your friendly neighborhood montrose photographer,